Anwar wrong, Barisan named a few MB candidates, says palace - AHMAD PAZIL BIN MD ISA




Anwar wrong, Barisan named a few MB candidates, says palace

The Selangor palace says today that Barisan Nasional used to submit a few candidates for the menteri besar post, contradicting a statement from Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim that it had been the convention to submit only one name for the post. – The Malaysian Insider file pic, September 18, 2014.
Barisan Nasional (BN) submitted multiples names for the Selangor menteri besar (MB) post to the sultan‎ when it ruled the state, and Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim's statement which claimed otherwise was "inaccurate", the Selangor palace said today.

The sultan's private secretary, Datuk Mohamad Munir Bani, said today that the sultan denied Anwar's claim that it had been the convention to submit only one name for the post since Merdeka.

"Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim's statement is inaccurate and confuses the rakyat. What happened during the BN government's administration was that the choices for the Selangor MB post were presented to the Selangor Sultan by the prime minister in a ceremony.

"‎During the ceremony, the prime minister would present the candidates believed to be qualified, for the sultan's consent.
"From the list of names, the sultan would choose one candidate to be appointed MB," said Munir in a statement today.

Munir said the PKR de facto leader did not have the correct facts and urged him not to release statements that could confuse the public and taint the sultan's image.

Last Tuesday, Anwar had sought the sultan's forgiveness for offending him after PKR defied his decree to submit more than two names to the palace.

But Anwar had insisted that his party had acted according to convention and state law in proposing only Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail for the position.

He said that Umno, too, had only presented one name for the positions of state assemblyman, parliamentarian, chief minister, menteri besar and prime minister since 1957.

Former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad‎ appeared to confirm this, saying it had always been convention to submit one name to the state ruler when appointing a MB.

The ex-prime minister told reporters on September 11 that he had never submitted more than one name, and this had not been a problem with any state rulers.

On August 26, PKR and DAP said it would nominate Dr Wan Azizah as the sole candidate as this had been PR's practice since 2008, when it proposed only Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim for the top post.

The palace confirmed that it had received only Khalid's name from PR in 2008‎.

Munir said the sultan had consented to PR's unanimous decision to nominate only Khalid in 2008 as he had fulfilled all the criteria to become MB and it was in accordance with the state constitution.

However, the palace’s letter revealed that more than one name had been received for the menteri besar post in 2013.

"The party leaders in PR wrote a letter to the Selangor Sultan recommending that Tan Sri Datuk Seri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim be appointed the Selangor MB," said Munir, after PR won Selangor in the 13th general election.

"The Sultan also received other candidates' names for the Selangor MB post,” he added.

"Because Tan Sri Datuk Seri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim had held the position as Selangor MB before this, and had good relations with the palace and the rakyat of Selangor, the Sultan consented for him to be reappointed as the Selangor MB."

Munir added that it was not the palace's policy to reveal the names or details.

"Because the situation forces the palace to issue a statement, then this matter must be explained.

"Hence, if Anwar does not have the correct facts, he is advised not to release any statements that could confuse the people and tarnish the image of the Selangor Sultan," said Munir. – September 17, 2014.

- See more at:
0 Komentar untuk "Anwar wrong, Barisan named a few MB candidates, says palace"




Popular Posts